Friday

diamonds on my windshield

Diamonds on my windshield
And these tears from heaven
I'm pullin' into town on the Interstate
I got me a steel train in the rain
And the wind bites my cheek through the wing
And it's these late nights and this freeway flying
That always makes me sing
'Cuz lookee here
There's a duster tryin' to change my tune
He's pullin' up fast on the right
Rollin' restlessly by a twenty-four hour moon
And a Wisconsin hiker with a cue-ball head
Wishin' he's home in a Wisconsin bed
But there's fifteen feet of snow in the East
It's colder than a welldigger's ass
I said, it's colder than a welldigger's ass

And now Oceanside, she ends the ride,
With San Clemente coming up
And them Sunday desperadoes slip by
And cruise with a dry back
And the orange drive-in, and the neon billin',
And the theatre's fillin' to the brim,
You got slave girls and a hot spur and bucket full of sin
In that metropolitan area
With all them interchanging connections
And fly-by-nights from Riverside
And out-of-state plates, running a little late

Now the sailors jockey for the fast lane
So 101 don't miss it
You got rollin' hills and concrete fields
And that broken line's on your mind
And the 8s go east and the 5s go north
And the merging exits back and forth
You see your sign, you cross the line, you signal with a blink
'Cuz that radio's gone off the air,
Gonna give you time to think
And you hear the rumble as you're fumblin' for a cigarette
Go on blaze on through that midnight jungle
You remember someone and you can't forget

And one more block, that engine talks
And whispers: home at last
I said, one more block, that engine talks
And whispers: home at last

'Cuz you got diamonds on your windshield
And them tears from heaven
Pullin' into town on the Interstate
With a steel train in the rain
And the wind bites my cheek through the wing
It's these late nights and this freeway flying
That always makes me sing

}}{{

No comments: